Home News Benin’s President Patrice Talon has thanked army leaders for helping to defeat an attempted military coup in the West African nation. He also vowed that the mutineers would be punished.
News

Benin’s President Patrice Talon has thanked army leaders for helping to defeat an attempted military coup in the West African nation. He also vowed that the mutineers would be punished.

Share
Share

On Sunday morning, a group of soldiers calling themselves the Military Committee for Refoundation took over state television and announced that the government had been dissolved.

Just hours later, the minister of interior said the takeover attempt had been “foiled.”

Talon addressed the nation on Sunday evening:

“I would like to commend the sense of duty of our army and its leaders who remained republican and loyal to the nation. With them, we stood firm, recaptured our positions, and cleared the last pockets of resistance from the mutants. This commitment and mobilisation allowed us to thwart these adventurers and save our country. This treachery will not go unpunished.”

Talon also expressed his condolences to the victims of “this senseless adventure.” He referred to “those still being held by the fleeing mutineers,” and said everything will be done to find them “safe and sound.” He did not provide figures on casualties or hostages.

Thirteen soldiers have been arrested, according to local media, but it’s unclear whether the coup leader, Lt Col Pascal Tigri, was among them.

Gunfire was heard and soldiers were seen patrolling in some locations in the capital Cotonou, but the city has been relatively calm since the coup attempt was announced.

The signal to the state television and public radio, which was cut off, was later restored.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Toronto Home Sales Snap Losing Streak as Lower Prices Draw Buyers Back

Home sales in Toronto have rebounded after a prolonged slowdown, as declining property prices begin to attract buyers back into the market, signaling...

Ford Recalls Over 420,000 Vehicles in U.S. Over Windshield Wiper Failure

Ford Motor Company has announced a large scale recall affecting more than 420,000 vehicles across the United States, citing a defect that could...

Related Articles

NIGERIA, ITALY MEET OVER UPCOMING GLOBAL EDUCATION SUMMIT

Nigeria and Italy have agreed to establish a Working Group to drive...

Pakistan hands US revised Iranian proposal for ending war

Pakistan has delivered a revised proposal from Iran to the United States...

Jury begins deliberations in bribery trial of Nigeria’s ex-oil minister Alison-Madueke

A jury has begun deliberations in the bribery trial of former Nigerian...

NextEra Energy to buy Dominion in $66.8 billion US power deal amid AI boom

NextEra Energy has agreed to acquire Dominion Energy in a deal valued...