Home News Nigeria Urges Citizens in Lebanon to Cooperate with Evacuation Efforts
News

Nigeria Urges Citizens in Lebanon to Cooperate with Evacuation Efforts

Share
Share

The Nigerian government has urged its citizens in Lebanon to cooperate with ongoing evacuation efforts. Despite the government’s attempts to facilitate their safe return, many Nigerians residing in Lebanon have shown reluctance to leave the conflict zone, according to a recent statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Ambassador Eche Abu-Obe, spokesperson for the ministry, revealed on Saturday that while around 500 Nigerians have registered with the Nigerian Mission in Lebanon, there are an estimated 2,000 Nigerian citizens living in the country. “Even though most of them have not indicated willingness to return home in spite of the persuasion by our Embassy, we will continue to do everything to ensure the safety of our citizens,” said Abu-Obe.

As the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah intensifies, the Nigerian government has expressed concern for the well-being of its citizens in Lebanon. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs emphasized the need for Nigerians to prioritize their safety and not resist evacuation efforts. “The Nigerian government urges all citizens living in Lebanon not to resist evacuation because the ongoing conflict may escalate,” the ministry warned, appealing for cooperation in the evacuation process and adherence to safety guidelines.

In response to the growing security risks, the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has activated emergency protocols to ensure the swift and safe evacuation of Nigerian citizens from Lebanon. According to the ministry’s statement, the government has initiated coordination efforts with several agencies, including the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the Department of State Services (DSS), the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), the Nigerian Immigration Service, and the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), to expedite the evacuation process.

“Our Embassy in Beirut has been issuing several advisories since the conflict started, urging our citizens to stay indoors and follow local authorities’ instructions,” the statement added. Nigerians who have not yet registered with the Embassy have been encouraged to do so immediately through official channels, such as the designated email address.

In a positive note, the ministry expressed relief that no Nigerian lives have been lost during the conflict so far. It credited the efforts of the Nigerian Embassy in Beirut, which has worked closely with the leadership of the Nigerian community to evacuate citizens from southern Lebanon, the epicenter of the clashes, to safer areas in Beirut.

To further bolster evacuation efforts, the government is making arrangements to deploy a C-130 aircraft or any available flight to bring Nigerians back home. This follows a growing sense of urgency as the conflict shows no signs of abating.

The ministry’s statement reiterated the Nigerian government’s commitment to the safety and welfare of its citizens, both at home and abroad. “The Administration of President Tinubu is making every effort to ensure that Nigerian citizens in Lebanon are safely evacuated, and we are closely monitoring the situation,” it said.

As Nigeria continues to coordinate its response with the international community, the government remains vigilant about the rapidly changing dynamics in Lebanon. It has called on all Nigerians residing in the region to act in their own best interests by cooperating with the evacuation exercise and following all safety advisories issued by the Embassy and local authorities.

The situation underscores the Nigerian government’s proactive stance in protecting its citizens abroad during times of crisis. With the government poised to execute a full-scale evacuation, Nigerians in Lebanon are encouraged to recognize the gravity of the situation and take the necessary steps to ensure their own safety.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

WHO Officially Recognizes Kenya for Eliminating Sleeping Sickness, Marking a Historic Public Health Victory Kenya has achieved a groundbreaking milestone as the World...

Rising Tensions in Ethiopia and Eritrea Spark Fears of Another Devastating Tigray War

Ethiopia’s fragile northern Tigray region is once again on edge as delegations of civil society and religious leaders arrive in Mekelle for “dialogue”,...

Related Articles

Mozambique and Rwanda Sign Military Agreement to Regulate Troop Deployment Amid Cabo Delgado Insurgency

Mozambique and Rwanda have formally signed a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)...

Tragedy in Mauritania: At Least 49 Dead, 100 Missing After Migrant Boat Capsizes en Route to Canary Islands

At least 49 migrants have died and around 100 remain missing after...

Nigerian Government Defends Passport Fee Hike to N100,000 and N200,000, Promises Faster, Corruption-Free Processing

The Federal Government has defended its decision to increase Nigerian passport fees...

Gambia Baby Dies From Female Genital Mutilation Despite National Ban as Debate Over Repeal Deepens

A one-month-old baby girl has died in The Gambia from severe injuries...